21 May, 2006

Just another Sunday? Well, not exactly.

It was one of those lazy Sunday’s and I was sitting by my house door. You never know - your neighbour might just have some interesting friends. And when that happens you don’t want to be listening to Dean Jones giving us a probability (which of course is calculated based on a highly advanced formula taking into account everything from the loudness of the Barmy army to Dhoni’s present hairstyle) of India winning their match (which never seems to go below 50. After all you don’t say on NDTV that India is going to lose the match).

Okay, enough of my rambling. So, here I was sitting by my door, waiting for someone interesting to pass by. Well, someone interesting did pass by. Just that that’s not exactly the ‘interesting’ I meant. These were two huge policemen, and they were having a chat with my watchman. And btw, these were not the ordinary constable kinds with a lathi in their hands and a belly which would give any pregnant lady a run for her money. These were guys with a holster and a mean look. I don’t know why, but the police always give me the creeps. Its just that if they’re there, there must be some trouble somewhere. So, here these guys were making some kind of enquiries with my watchman while I began to think of a hundred reasons why these guys could be here. Did one of my neighbours get robbed? Did the only cute looking girl in block run away with her boyfriend? While I was busy thinking up of all possibilities, my watchman suddenly begins to point his finger towards my house. What?? Whatr u doing u crazy man? Point the other way!! Anyway, too late. Damage done. So, based on some secret information given by my watchman, these guys begin to walk towards my house. What did u do Nikhil? Think…Think…. Was it for the time when I was 10 and beat up a guy black-and-blue because he didn’t agree that I just couldn’t be out in cricket. Oh but that was quite a while ago. It must be something recent. Or was it….. Oops time up. The police is at my door.

Braving myself for any consequence, I go up to the door with a big smile, hoping that it might win me some sympathy with them. Anyway, what followed was an anti-climax. One of them asks me for Chandrashekhar. Aah… so the culprit is Chandrashekhar is it?? That’s when I remember that they’re looking for the previous occupants of the house. Reason? Some minister’s son’s wedding and they had come to distribute invitations. And this Chandrashekhar happens to be a famous musician. Anyway, I just felt sorry for those policemen. These guys are supposed to be catching criminals and setting the society straight, but here they were distributing invitations for their boss. No wonder crimes are aplenty. And why wouldn’t they be? There seems to be enough ‘other work’ for the police to do. More than anything else this is a job of respect, a job one can be proud of. No more it seems.

8 comments:

Sharath said...

lol..."Whatr u doing u crazy man? Point the other way!! " was the best part..

Anonymous said...

yeah Nikhil, even I agree with what Sharath has said. That was the best part lol

Rohan said...

For a moment, into the narrative, I thought that the unthinkable has happened!! :-)

"Did one of my flat members file a complaint saying that he fears the safety of his daughter with me around?" --> Now what's this all about? Must dig deeper ;-)

A classy narrative though, keeps the reader gripped on to the story, keep up the good work, write more. And yeah, wonder whether you were so violent back then (or for that matter even now). You sure you beat up the guy black and blue when you were 10? I think you must be referring to some school play you'd acted in.
:-)

Nikhil said...

@ Sarath, Rahul: You should see my watchman. A real specimen. I once took sides in his fight with the sweeper. Since then, I've been having a feeling that he's plotting his revenge.

@ Rohan: U better believe it da. People shiver when they see me.

Badri said...

Nikhil, good work da...great narration....and btw did the policemen never ask you about your role in Dr.Prakash's movies. I thought he might have come to check your place on the pretext of giving invites....and sure you do send shivers down people's spine when they spot you...ppl surely want more peace da.......they dont like PJs.

the6thsense said...

Hey nikhil gud work... perhaps u culd have tried to add more thrill to it by delaying the climax... and boy the most funniest part is the thing that u beat someone black n blue cummon drop that. That s d biggest joke yaar... u said
"Did one of my flat members file a complaint saying that he fears the safety of his daughter with me around?" ahem.. thats d truth and perhaps be narrative on those lines more ;)

~ Deeps ~ said...

gud post......but yeah as some one said climax cud have been made lil long........

sdhivya said...

"Did one of my flat members file a complaint saying that he fears the safety of his daughter with me around?"

i dont see that line any more...seems like u have removed it :):) ...cos mayb it seemed like a joke to u itself :)

a really good post !