21 November, 2007

31 --> 1... In progress

My worst fears have been confirmed. I've hit a new low. I've been working on this for two years now, and then I see this!!! I ask you dear lord, why this injustice?

"How could you let my blog show up only on the 31st page on a Google search?"

Yeah, you heard it right. It showed up on the 31st page, when I gave a search for Nikhil + blogspot a few days back. And now, I believe only God and perhaps some knowledge on SEO (Search Engine Optimization) can help me. Determined to get this thing sorted out, I began my quest for redemption.

First stop: 'Google Analytics'. This is really a very neat product from the Google stable and a godsend for all those on the Internet bandwagon. It basically allows you to monitor traffic to your site and analyze it based on 'keyword searches leading to your site', 'geography originating from' and a lot of other such criteria (I'm still to figure out how to use the rest of the features). I realize that while visitors from India maybe yet to discover the genius in me, I do have a good number of visitors from the US, Europe, Australia, and even places like Nicaragua, and a country I didn't know existed till now. Apparently a lot of these people were coming for the wrong reasons, and some innocuously used words in my posts were being thought of in a rather naughty context.

Time to Google (incidentally Word didn’t give me an error on Google, which it did a couple of months back. I’m not sure if I added it sometime. But if that isn’t the case, then maybe Microsoft is finally realizing what’s hit them) on ‘Search Engine Optimization’ and the ‘Page Rank algorithm’, and based on some advice, I made some cosmetic changes to my site, including adding meta-tags, mentioning ‘GOOGLE’ quite generously in this post, and then adding labels, and some online campaigning for the blog.

And then, today I borrowed a book from my office library (prompting questions on whether I have a thriving online business) called ‘Blog Marketing’. An interesting book (at least till what I’ve read) which talks not only about how best to position your blog to gain maximum moolah for the stuff that innocent visitors get lost in, but also takes a psychological look at why people blog at all.

I’m hoping all of this improves my blog rank. Well, maybe I’m just doing it the wrong way. I remember having recently read a blog, where the author talks about sending Diwali SMS’ to his contact list. For some reason, he finds this complex enough to plot a graph with the ‘X’ coordinate represented by ‘prospective professional contacts’ and the ‘Y’ graph represented by ‘Closeness to him’, and then split it as 4 quadrants and… well, some more stuff, which I wasn’t very interested in. (and this when companies like Aircel have only the 'Free SMS' as their USP). I’m not sure if he did send those messages finally, but he sure made sure that everyone knew he is a recent B-School grad. ;-)

I guess, I’m also doing something similar here. Maybe all I need to do here is write some good, readable posts and improve upon the frequency of 2 posts /month.

No comments: